True Mississippi Nostalgia Is Worth the Drive

There’s a smattering of charming little country stores within driving distance of Jackson, allowing us to indulge in true Mississippi nostalgia. One of my favorite off-the-beaten-path spots to evoke the tastes and feelings of those days gone by is Gibbes Grocery in Learned, Mississippi – this month’s pick for our Worth the Drive profile.

Make your way into “downtown” Learned and you’ll stumble upon a pleasant little wooden store, complete with a simple Southern porch.  You’ll be greeted by the friendly, yet no-nonsense staff and then seated at one of the long family-style dining tables. Odds are, you’ll make new friends in those you’re dining beside. How very Mississippi. We wouldn’t have it any other way.

Gibbes-RackofLambAt Gibbes, the atmosphere is almost as good as the food. While the steak (cooked to perfection, I might add) is worth the drive, too – truth is, I’d travel oceans for the lamb.

Juicy and simple is the name of the game here, and the lamb needs nothing more. Simply prepared, and simply delicious. Entrées are served with a choice of sides, but the baked potato and crispy salad doesn’t disappoint. Be sure and ask what the house-made dessert special is, and add a little more sweetness to an already sweet and charming spot.

Gibbes Grocery is BYOB, so bring a bottle of wine and enjoy your mini vacation. It’s worth it. I’m willing to bet the drive from Jackson to Learned will become a regular route after your first venture out. From the service to the food, simplicity reigns supreme at Gibbes – just how I like it.

Have you tried Gibbes Grocery? Share your stories of Mississippi nostalgia – or your own favorite Worth the Drive picks! – in the comments below.

Gibbes Old Country Store on Urbanspoon
Gibbes Old Country Store
Main Street
Learned, MS 39154
(601) 885-6833

Related Posts

, , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to True Mississippi Nostalgia Is Worth the Drive

1. Lucy May 16, 2014 at 9:42 am #

I took my mom here for her 60th birthday. We are always looking for ‘off the beaten path’ and unique experiences. This was absolutely PERFECT!! The food was amazing, the atmosphere was so comfortable, and they guy playing the guitar sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to my mom. This was a very special memory!! Definitely on my list to go back, and I recommend this to ANYONE who is looking for something different to do!!

2. Kate May 16, 2014 at 9:49 am #

I want to try this place. This is the second recommendation that I have gotten for it. Hopefully me and the hubs can have a date night soon. Sounds like a fun outing.

3. Amanda Robinson May 16, 2014 at 9:51 am #

I love finding great restaurants in little towns!!! This sounds fabulous!

4. Lindsey F May 16, 2014 at 9:51 am #

I’ve been there a couple of times and loved it! I just enjoyed looking at all of the items on the walls of the store. And the food is fantastic. My birthday is coming up next week and I’m actually looking for a place for my parents to take me to dinner. Gibbes might be the place this year!

5. Ashley Hill May 16, 2014 at 9:52 am #

I would love to try this! It makes me think of Old Taylor Grocery in Taylor, just outside of Oxford. Worth the drive for the quaint, old time atmosphere!

6. Lauren May 16, 2014 at 9:53 am #

can’t wait to try this.

7. David May 16, 2014 at 9:54 am #

Wow, the lamb looks great. Will have to take a drive up there and try it out.

8. Allie Prater May 16, 2014 at 9:55 am #

Can’t wait to try this!

9. msu_scrappy May 16, 2014 at 9:56 am #

Never heard of it until it was a rest stop on a Jackson Metro Cyclists bike ride. I got a couple of desserts to go that day while volunteering at the rest stop next to Gibbes Old Country Store and checking it out and it was really cool. Awesome, cool, old fashioned set-up and nice little store. Had planned to take my family back last weekend for dinner when they were helping me move, but finished moving late, but DEFINITELY PLAN to make it out there for dinner for the steaks, lamb, redfish, and some of those sides. The staff, including the twins operating the store that day, were really nice and helpful.

10. Morgan May 16, 2014 at 9:59 am #

I’d love to try this!!!! Can’t wait to check it out.

11. Taylor May 16, 2014 at 10:13 am #

Have been there once several months ago and we STILL talk about it! We enjoyed an awesome meal then hung out on the porch for a bit. Easily one of my favorite places! Cannot wait to go back!!!

12. Kristen May 16, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Looks like a drive that would be very rewarding at the end!

13. Mary May 16, 2014 at 10:35 am #

My husband’s grandparents took us here for his birthday. Definitely worth the drive. My favorite kind of relaxing steak/lamb dinner!

14. Matt May 16, 2014 at 11:02 am #

Have heard this place is great. Have been wanting to try it for a while now

15. hrmajsty May 16, 2014 at 11:45 am #

Living 45 minutes north of Jackson, this would be a pretty good little trip for us, but I’m still putting it on my to-try list… just in case.

16. Julie May 16, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

Would be fun on Saturday night wonder if they take reservations?

17. Shelia May 16, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

Heard of Gibbes but have never been. Must try it!

18. Tim May 16, 2014 at 4:00 pm #

Have to try Gibbes! Too many people have recommended it to me. Just haven’t made it there.
    Will go soon.

19. Mary May 17, 2014 at 8:44 am #

Went with a group of friends and it was great. As a vegetarian, I was worried because all I kept hearing about was the steak. I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful their vegetable plate was. Not on menu. I just asked for it and they were happy to fix for me. Excellent veggie dishes such as squash casserole and string beans just to mention 2. Just like eating at my grandmother’s table. Good food. Fun atmosphere.

20. Cynthia May 23, 2014 at 9:49 am #

This sounds great… going to have a road trip soon I can already tell.

21. Kathy Staten May 23, 2014 at 11:24 am #

Thanks for the tip on what sounds like a great place to dine. Can’t wait to try it!

22. Verniece Goode May 23, 2014 at 11:33 am #

Thanks to Amanda for a most interesting article. I am a Mississippi native but have never heard of Learned. My wedding anniversary is coming up soon, and based on what Amanda says, Gibbes Old Country Store would be a nice adventure to celebrate that special day. Her description of the steak and lamb has my mouth watering for a taste! Thanks for great info on Eat Jackson!

• EatJxn Mary-Susan
      EatJxn Mary-Susan May 23, 2014 at 11:51 am #

Verniece- we are so glad to help! We’ll pass word along to Amanda, and Happy Anniversary from Eat Jackson!

23. Sheila Cargile May 23, 2014 at 11:47 am #

Everyone needs to treat themselves to things like this every so often!!

24. Jewel May 23, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

This definitely sounds like it is worth the drive. Just wondering how far from Jackson Learned is.
    Thanks!

25. LJ May 23, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

That looks and sounds amazing — I’ll have to try it soon!

26. Nathan May 25, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

Looks like time for a road trip!

27. Christine Bunting May 30, 2014 at 10:28 am #

I ate there last Friday for the first time and the food was fantastic! I took photos of the old library ladder that roles along the top, the blues singer with his guitar who had quite a vast range of songs and ability, and some other aspects of the place that just speaks Mississippi. While there Roger Wicker arrived, it just gave the sense that it was a not so hidden secret. It is well worth the trip.