Find a Fall Favorite: Fondren’s Hottest Pub

Jackson has long been a great place to grab a tasty bite to eat, and in the last several years, Fondren has become a destination in itself for the late night crowd. And right now, the hot new pub tucked in the back corner of the plaza that’s also home to Rainbow Whole Foods Co-Op and the Fondren Cups is where everyone’s flocking.

FondrenPublicFondren Public has swiftly established itself as arguably the hottest new spot to whet your appetite and your whistle. It’s a laid-back bar, the perfect place to grab some good beer, bar snacks, and well-crafted old school cocktails. With an atmosphere that screams “just have a good time, y’all!” Fondren Public has already become a neighborhood favorite for lovers of both the happy hour and the late night libations alike.

This bar has 20 beers on tap and nearly 50 options in bottles and cans. Patrons can sip (or chug) favorites like Abita, Lazy Magnolia and Lucky Town. Growlers are also available – a half gallon glass jug that can be filled straight from the Fondren Public tap with your choice of beer. But rest assured, non-beer drinkers need not shy away. Fondren Public offers a full bar as well, serving the likes of the Mississippi Mule, a concoction of Cathead Honeysuckle Vodka mixed with ginger beer served in an ice cold copper mug, and the Boilermaker, made with Lucky Town Pale Ale and a shot of whiskey.

Try the Mississippi Mule at Fondren Public (Photo credit: Angela Shepard)

Try the Mississippi Mule at Fondren Public (Photo credit: Angela Shepard)

From boiled peanuts to a pickle plate, Fondren Public’s food fare is decidedly Southern and simple. But like so much that is Southern and simple – it’s really good. We recommend the Cajun Corn Dog (a Country Pleasin’ Sausage hugged by Jalapeño Beer Batter breading) or the Yard Bird – fried chicken bites on a stick served with spicy horseradish mayo. Plus, you just can’t miss the crispy, delicious fried Public Chips.

Did we mention they also have a bocce ball court? If it’s a weekend night, and even some weeknights, you may have to wait a little while. But just like waiting for it to open its doors to the public – trust us. It’s worth it.

Have you tried Fondren Public? What did you think? Tell us in the comments below!

Fondren Public on Urbanspoon
Fondren Public
2765 Old Canton Rd
Jackson, MS 39216
(769) 216-2589
Facebook

Related Posts

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Find a Fall Favorite: Fondren’s Hottest Pub

1. Caleb Houston October 18, 2013 at 10:04 am #

Very excited to try this place. The Mississippi Mule sounds delicious!

2. Lindsey October 18, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

I haven’t gotten to try Fondren Public yet, but I’m definitely looking forward to it! Thanks for the great article!

3. Dustin October 18, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

First time at Fondren Public, I ordered an Abita Andygator draft for my cousin and watched as the bartender filled his glass 3/4 with Pabst Blue Ribbon, then topped it off with Andygator . Supper shady! So much so that I haven’t been back. Buyer beware.

4. Ashley H October 18, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

Can’t wait to visit during the corn hole tournament!

5. Nadia October 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Went here a few weeks ago. Great place. Can’t wait to go back!

6. Lauren R. October 18, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

Can’t get enough of Fondren Public! Quickly became my favorite hang out spot with its great beer selection and laid back atmosphere!

7. Heather October 18, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Really want to try Fondren Public soon!

8. Laurii October 18, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Sounds like Fondren life is picking up steam!

9. Carrie October 18, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

Great atmosphere, drinks, and food especially after work!

10. msu_scrappy October 18, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

they have bocce ball and a 20 foot shuffle board table, not to mention you can buy growlers of 20 plus draft beers (best selection in town). can’t beat it. oh, and they have chicken and waffle tacos on the menu i must get in to try.

11. cbb123 October 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

the fried chicken waffle taco is good. I have heard same stories about the andygator. overall pretty nice place though!

12. Cherlene October 18, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

My hubby & I went there on a whim on date night. I should have know this wasn’t our scene when the bouncer at the door didn’t even want to check my ID. The only place to sit was outside on the patio. After waiting for ~ 20 minutes, I finally grabbed an employee & asked if we could please be waited on. She rolled her eyes, but took our order. I had the chicken & waffle & my hubby had the Public chips. Both were good. We probably thought they were better than they were because by the time the food came, it had been an hour & a half since we decided to get dinner. I ordered another beer and after 15 minutes decided to cancel it. Unfortunately, it had already been rung on our tab, so I basically chugged it.

If you are under 30 & don’t mind crowds, noise, and an inattentive waitstaff, then Fondren Public is the place for YOU!

13. Niki October 25, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Can’t wait to try this place… but I’m afraid I may not be cool enough to enjoy it! haha.

14. Elizabeth Anderson October 25, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

I went to Fondren Public one late Saturday night and had so much fun, I like the space and atmosphere. It took a long time to get a drink because the bar was crowded but the bartenders were fast and awesome. I didn’t know they had food! I’ll have to try it next time