Who has the Best Filet Mignon in Jackson?

The best filet mignon in Jackson.

national food holidayIt’s been a debate amongst food lovers for years and years now. What local restaurant does the best job of preparing the most tender cut of beef available: the Filet Mignon?

Everyone’s got their own opinions, and we have our personal ones too. In fact, our Publisher is well-known for his love of steak and has often used the filet of beef as a standard by which to compare restaurants in the area for some time. Monday was National Filet Mignon Day, and we thought that was as good an excuse as any to create a short list of our staff’s favorite filet mignon’s from around the metro area. To qualify for this list, our staff has eaten these steaks on multiple occasions – and find Eating them to be pure culinary utopia….

Did your favorite local filet make our alphabetically arranged list? Take a look!

1. BRAVO! Italian Restaurant & Bar

BRAVO! Italian Restaurant & Bar (Photo Credit: Tom Beck, Photo provided by BRAVO! Italian Restaurant & Bar)

Yes. That is what we’re telling you. Several members of our team (junior members, a.k.a. kids, included!) swear by the steak at BRAVO! Italian Restaurant & Bar, saying it’s the best they’ve ever had.

When we asked Dan Blumenthal, Executive Chef over at BRAVO! to elaborate on their surprisingly great steak, he said they get 1881 Omaha Hereford beef from Evans Meats in Birmingham, specifying 8-ounce center cuts. Basically, it’s the best they’ve got to offer. BRAVO! then chargrills the filet to temperature and tops it lightly with a Port Wine Demi-Glace.

Dan says, “All I know is that if you take a good quality product and cook it properly, then add a delicious, complimentary sauce, the result should be tasty.”

2. CHAR Restaurant

Chef Derek George at CHAR Restaurant was happy to share about their near perfect filets when we asked him to divulge.

“Our secret ingredient is Allen Brothers steak. They are a company out of Chicago and have been in the business since the 1800’s. They choose their beef cuts from the upper 3% of each grade giving the best product to their consumers.”

He also got very scientific when telling us about their special process of wet aging. We don’t remember all the details, but we do remember desperately wanting a steak from CHAR right after we talked to Chef George… He also went on to tell us about the way they char the meat in their broiler, which cooks at 1800 degrees, sealing in the juices that define the famous CHAR filet.

We’re getting hungry already, and we’re only on steak number two!

3.  Ely’s Restaurant & Bar

Ely’s Restaurant & Bar

The filet at Ely’s Restaurant is quite a jewel. Ely’s ages corn fed Midwestern Choice Prime beef tenderloin for at least 28 days. Then they marinate the steak in their house marinade, which includes their special Ely’s Gourmet All-Purpose Seasoning (available at a specialty shop near you). Once marinated for at least an hour, they slice the beef into 8 oz. and 12 oz. filets, cook them to your liking, and serve the steaks hot and fresh directly to your table!

Simple? Yes. Fantastic? Oh, YES!

4. Parker House Restaurant

**Parker House Restaurant is no longer open

The Parker House (Photo Credit: Tom Beck, Photo provided by The Parker House)

You may have heard the rumors. And yes the rumors are true… Chef Andy Cook, owner and executive chef at Parker House in Ridgeland, did indeed blind taste test nearly twenty different types of beef before picking the perfect meat for their menu. Hereford 1881 Beef was his top pick, and we can taste why!

The filet mignon at Parker House is the “best of the Hereford best”… consistent, juicy, and downright wonderful. Simple preparations take a great cut of meat to an extraordinary level!

5. ROCA Restaurant & Bar

Roca Restaurant & Bar

This Vicksburg favorite has a filet that would, without a doubt, be the main component of one of our staff member’s perfect meal. The Buckhead Beef used at ROCA Restaurant & Bar, which is already amazingly tender, is made even moreso by the searing, resting, and warming process used there. Chef Jay Parmegiani tells us that letting the meat rest after it’s seared is key. That allows the juices to soak back into the meat, optimizing the tenderness.

Jay seasons his beef with a special blend of spices, including paprika, oregano, thyme, and garlic. Once it’s plated and ready to go, he surrounds it with a veal demi-glace and tops it with a big pat of butter enhanced by cabernet, shallots, and thyme. Is anyone else’s stomach growling right now?!

6. Shapley’s Restaurant

The filet mignon at Shapley’s Restaurant was one of the first filets we can remember eating, years and years ago, before we even realized our obsession with food. And the memory remains… The filet at Shapley’s, which is sourced by a purveyor exclusive only to this restaurant in the Jackson area, has a fabulous buttery texture, is lightly marbled, and comes in any size from 6 ounces up to 20 ounces!

The three “broiler cooks” that prepare the steaks have been at the game for over 20 years, providing the care required to give you, as owner Scott Koestler says, “what we believe is the best filet you’ll find.” The flame started by our first filet love is fanned every time we make a return visit to Shapley’s. You are forever in our hearts, Shapley’s!

Table 100

7. Table 100

On our very first visit to Table 100, we ordered their filet mignon and haven’t looked back since. Chef Mike Roemhild was able to help us understand our love for this steak on a deeper level:

“Our filet is a true center cut filet from a Certified Black Angus Beef. We only season it with coarse salt and pepper and brush the steak with rosemary and garlic infused olive oil. It is then grilled to perfection with a resting time of 5 minutes before serving.”

If we could eat a steak like this every day for the rest of our lives, we would die happy! (And quite possibly from a red meat overdose…)

8. Tico’s Steak House

We had the pleasure of talking to Tico Hoffman and his brother Dan about the infamous Tico’s steak. Namely, the filet. As it is described on the Tico’s Steak House menu, their filet mignon is “the best beef Tico has to offer!”

Dan told us that Tico has been ordering his filets from the same guy in Chicago since he opened back in 1989. This particular supplier cuts his U.S. Prime filets every single day and has a shipping routine to Tico’s that runs like a well-oiled machine.

Tico’s cooks your steak under a broiler at a mere 1800 degrees, adding only salt and pepper to the cut. Easy, peasy!

Dan went on to tell us their unofficial motto: “We get good food and try not to screw it up.”

We’d say y’all are doing a good job of keeping customers coming back year after year, so it looks like you’re sticking to that motto!

9. Two Rivers Restaurant

Two Rivers Restaurant

The filet mignon at Two Rivers Restaurant in Canton is really something! When you visit this restaurant, the first page of the menu is a note from owner Johnny Stewart sharing the importance of selecting high quality meat. He talks about how all of the meats he brings in, not just steak, come from the best sources he can get his hands on, and it certainly shows!

We are definitely fans of the filet at Two Rivers and enjoy getting “out of town” a few miles to enjoy it!

10. Underground 119

The 10-ounce, hand-cut filet at Underground 119 in downtown Jackson is one of the most unique on our list of top filets in Jackson! This prime cut of juicy beef is enhanced with a chili/lime/coffee dry rub and cooked to your preference. Chili, lime, and coffee may sound like a strange combo to you, but it creates one incredible flavor! We recommend stepping off the beaten path with this one!

11. Walker’s Drive-In

Walker’s Drive-In

The filet mignon at Walker’s Drive-In is a local favorite. Chef Derek Emerson took a minute to tell us about what makes this meat so buzz-worthy. They also use 100% Hereford beef, aged at least 45 days, and cook it over a wood grill.

“We season it with just salt and pepper and serve it with a red wine sauce. The key is the beef that we use. We’ve been buying from the same place for years now because it’s always consistent.”

For those of you who like to stick closer to Madison, this same cut of beef is also served at Walker’s sister restaurant, Local 463!

Honorable Mention: Doe’s Eat Place.

Doe’s Eat Place

Doe’s Eat Place in Greenville, Mississippi is one of the most award-winning restaurants we’ve ever enjoyed. (If you missed our story about a recent visit, it’s worth a read.) The steak and the tradition at Doe’s Eat Place are WORTH THE DRIVE… We can almost guarantee that you’ll leave with a happy tummy!

Bravo Italian Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

Doe’s Eat Place
502 Nelson Street
Greenville, MS 38701
(662) 334-3315
Price: $$$$

Related Posts

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

56 Responses to Who has the Best Filet Mignon in Jackson?

1. Kerry Brashear August 15, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Looks like a lot of advertisng politics to me. Coincidental that the winners have ads with you? If you want a Stockyards hand trimmed in house char grilled filet including side dishes and Live Free local high quality music at a beeter price, come see what the buzz is at Kathryn’s!

• Mrs. Eat August 15, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

Great tip, Kerry, and you’re not the first one today to include Kathryn’s on reader comments from this story – so that definitely means Kathryn’s has a steak we need to try! For this story, we actually did a poll of our existing staff favorites as the story explained and listed them in alphabetical order. Five of the ones listed have no participation or advertising connection with Eat Jackson Restaurant Directory, which is very nominal fee’d co-op type setup open to locally owned and operated restaurants in Central Mississippi. All of them have steaks we adore! Thanks again for the Kathryn’s recommendation – we will definitely check it out!

2. TM August 16, 2012 at 7:25 am #

This list would have been invalid without the inclusion of Walker’s. Best filet ever. It was like eating a cloud made of meat. I look forward to the review of Kathryn’s too!

3. Marie August 16, 2012 at 9:09 am #

I have to say Walkers filet should be #2 or #1 and no way in the world does Table 100 or Tico’s have a better filet.

4. Bryan August 17, 2012 at 11:37 am #

Tico’s

5. Kristin August 17, 2012 at 11:41 am #

I have to agree with Walkers Filet….it is phenomenal! My mouth is watering as I type. :) Great list and I will definitely try the others.

6. Jenny August 17, 2012 at 11:44 am #

Char.

7. Janice August 17, 2012 at 11:46 am #

Shapley’s had my vote!

8. susan August 17, 2012 at 11:47 am #

LOVE Shapleys :)

9. Joey August 17, 2012 at 11:49 am #

I have had the filet at several of these place and I would have to say my favorite is Ely’s. But I have one problem with this list and that is it has made me starving for a filet!! Date night with the wife tonight!!!

10. Nyssa August 17, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Im not a fan of chars filet. It was a bit of a let down for the price.

11. KKirk August 17, 2012 at 11:56 am #

The filet at Two Rivers and Shapley’s are both out of this world. Both are so tender you can cut them with a fork.

12. Alyssa August 17, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Shapleys = amazing! It’s been a few years but I still remember it be to die for. In more recent years, Table 100 is giving them a run for their money in my opinion!

13. Karri August 17, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Shapley’s is by far my favorite steak in town! There are some on the list that are over-rated.

14. Nick August 17, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

tico’s has a prety amazing steak!!!

15. ronnie August 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

I have tried the filets at some of the restaurants featured, and will certainly try all of them at some point. They all sound delish! I, too, love the filet at Kathryn’s.

16. Tyra August 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Shapley’s Restaurant is still, and will probably always be my favorite filet in Jackson! Just thinking about their appetizers, filet with all the toppings and their delicious side dishes makes me wish I was going there for dinner tonight!!! :)

17. Laura Anne Marshall August 17, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

I will have to try the filet at Walker’s. I agree that Char’s filet is wonderful!

18. Elizabeth August 17, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

I have to agree…ely’s is a must try for their filet among other things!

• Kk August 17, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Ooh yea, the pineapple ely will knock your socks off!

19. Laura August 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

I could eat Roca’s filet everyday! BRAVO!’s is pretty awesome as well, especially with that awesome potato side that comes with it. But I will definitely have to try some of the others on this list too!

20. Virginia August 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Love Tico’s!

21. Leigh August 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

I love a good filet! Thanks for the list! Char is my favorite so far, but I still haven’t been to Shapley’s. It is on my must-try list!

22. Kk August 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Great list, never had a filet at bravo before! Gues I will have to try it!

23. Laurie August 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

My vote is for Ticos!

24. Pat Ladnier August 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

Hard to believe that Olga’s wasn’t included…Yuriy prepares the absolute best filet I have had. Tico’s runs a close second. I’ m getting hungry just thinking about a good filet.

25. Liz August 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

wow, looks so good!

26. Ryan August 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Strange to say this but the filet at Pan Asia is the best I’ve had in Jackson. And I’ve had a bunch.

27. AustinM August 17, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Tico’s is my favorite on the list. Anxious to try Walker’s!

28. Alicia August 17, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

I would definitely go with Char’s Filet mignon!! Sounds well seasoned and very delicious!!!

29. K Butler August 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

There are several on this list I haven’t tried so they will definitely go on the bucket list. However, I don’t know how I would ever decide which of the ones I have had is best! How about a blind side-by-side taste test of all of them? I volunteer to be a judge!

30. vidal August 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

They are all great but what about Olga’s?

31. K Butler August 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

All the ones I’ve tried from the list are excellent, but Two Rivers Creme Brulee keeps me coming back for theirs.

32. Katherine W Pitts August 17, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

My personal favorite is Shapley’s. I think the filet is Devine and the service is always exceptional! Shapley’s is on my list for Best Restaurants in Jackson Mississippi.
    @KatWPitts

33. Mandy August 17, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Walker’s is usually where I head when I’m craving a filet but I’ll have to try a few of the others too! I’ve had about 1/2 on this list… maybe I should go eat one a week and make a top ten of my own!! :)

34. Jason August 17, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

Sadly, my wallet does not let me try all these steaks as much as I would like. But if I am going to spend the money for a good steak, Shapley’s gets my vote almost always.

Growing up in Greenville, Doe’s will always have a special place in my heart for steak….and tamales…and salad….and shrimp…..

35. Jamie A August 17, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

Mmm, now I want a filet!

36. Mandy Mangrum August 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Chile, lime, and coffee… have to try that! I love 119!

37. ilovecake August 20, 2012 at 8:28 am #

I have tried the steak at Shappley’s. This weekend, I had a chance to enjoy the filet from Char for the first time. It was scrumptious! I like all my meats well done, so they butterflied the steak and it did not compromise the flavor. The brie butter sauce kicked the steak up another notch. My only regret was the side of cream spinach was not enough. I was so hungry, I had to order some onion rings. LOL

• Mrs. Eat August 22, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

Love it!

38. Leslie August 24, 2012 at 10:45 am #

I love Tico’s and Shapley’s steaks but I’m very interested to try out Bravo’s steak the next time I go…Who knew!?!? Thanks Eat Jackson for the great insite! I read you guys almost daily to hear about all the yummy food out there in our great city :)

39. Angela August 24, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Oh, how exciting. I just figured out a theme for my date nights for the rest of the year…I’ll have to try them all. I have tried many of these, and they all have strong points for recommendation. So far for local filets, the one that sticks out in my mind is Shapley’s. There is definitely something magical about the way garlic buttery escargot, filet, and au gratin potatoes go together.

40. Ken August 24, 2012 at 11:46 am #

It sounds like we all have the mission of visiting all of these to try the filet and make our own decision.

41. Julie August 24, 2012 at 11:46 am #

I look forward to trying some of these places that I haven’t been before. Shapley’s has a great filet for sure. I also like Olga’s and really can’t beat the ones from Ruth’s Chris!

42. Ali west August 24, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

I would love to win free food Friday!

43. Jason August 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

Recently had a Table 100 steak. It was very tender and tasted great. Not a lot of seasong, just a great cut of meat. The mashed taters that go with it are outstanding as well.

I still prefer a Shapley’s steak, but glad to cross another hunk of meat off your list.

44. ilovecake September 10, 2012 at 9:40 am #

I posted a comment earlier about Shappley’s and Char. This weekend, I thought I’d try the #1 rated steak- Bravo. I will rate it a 3 out of 10. It was NOT GOOD! Of course, I like my steaks will done, but this one came out red in the middle. I sent it back, and it came back well done. The steak was tough and not flavorful from the beginning (before I sent it back). They put these shoestring potatoes on it, which makes it look appealing, but it does not do anything for my pallet. In fact, the shoe string potatoes soaks up some of the sauce that the steak needs, because the steak was dry and not enough of the wine sauce on it. The wine sauce did not have a kick or it did not bring out the flavor in the steak. The steak was so bad, I ended up dipping it in mayo for flavor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a waste of $32 plus tax. At least we had a good server.

The bread pudding dessert looked inviting, but it DID NOT taste good. I barely could taste the sugar in it.
    Next time, I’ll stick with what I know and go to Char for my filet and order my bread pudding from Sway’s Bistro. Sway’s, in my opinion, has the best bread pudding ever!

• Mrs. Eat September 12, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

We will definitely pass along your comments to the folks at Bravo! I know they will want to help remedy the situation since that is not our experience at all with either of those menu items.

Also, great tip on Sway’s Bistro Bread Pudding – we will be sure to check that out. Thanks for the tip!

• Jeff Good September 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Dear “ilovecake”,

Reading your post about your bad experience at BRAVO! was like a trip to the dentist for me! Painful and revealing.

I am so very sorry that the food was lackluster and failed to meet your basic expectations. There is a reason folks regard us highly, we really do have extraordinary food… we promise! But somehow, for you, on this trip, we failed… and I want to personally apologize and beg your forgiveness.

I cannot give you back your time… I cannot give you back the bad taste in your mouth… I cannot give you back the loss of serenity over this. But what I can do is give you back the transaction… and ask you to PLEASE come back as my guest and do it all over again. Steak or no steak, bread pudding or no bread pudding… I have faith we can turn this around for you and your guest.

My email is jeffg@bravobuzz.com. I am the owner of the restaurant. I want to make this right. Send me your mailing address and I will personally attend to a recovery… and it will arrive quickly to your mailbox… and hopefully, we can move beyond this and into a better relationship.

Our’s is the service business, let me be of service to you and a guest.

Jeff Good

45. Jared January 4, 2013 at 4:30 am #

I have to say Local 463 has a great filet. I was surprised to see the Strawberry Cafe did not get any attention. I was there about a month ago and their filet was excellent. I may have hit them on a really good night but they are worth a try if you haven’t been.

46. Gretta May 3, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Tico’s is by far our fav…my husband and I eat there on “special occasions” only…..it is quite costly…but worth it!

47. Karri Chaney February 14, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

Shapley’s if by far my favorite!!! Hands down!

48. Pamela February 14, 2014 at 10:30 pm #

We have reservations for Saturday night at Shapley’s because our out-of-town guests like a great steak. By far we think Shapley’s has the best steak in Jackson. Have not been to Roca in Vicksburg or a couple of the other places around here. Also did not have steak at the Parker House. I do recall that there was a great place outside of Oxford that had a fantastic filet.

We had our own rib-eye contest and Shapley’s was the winner. In the running were Char, the Elite, Walker’s, Ely’s, Tico’s, and recently 1908.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Eat Jackson's 100 Top Stories of 2012 | Eat Jackson! - December 30, 2012

[…] #10 – Who Has the Best Filet Mignon in Jackson?  […]

2. Valentine's Day Solutions from Eat Jackson | Eat Jackson! - February 13, 2013

[…] classy places to choose from if you want to impress her: BRAVO!, Char, Nick’s, Parlor Market, Shapley’s, Walker’s Drive-In – the list could go on and on. (Note: Eat Jackson has no idea at press […]

3. Warning: Valentine’s Day is ONE Week Away! - Eat Jackson! - February 14, 2014

[…] Hurry before those seats are filled! If you need more inspiration, here are a lot of places to get amazing filet mignon—always a good indicator of a great […]