Jaco’s Tacos: Some INCREDIBLE Food

Next time you’re looking for an incredible meal downtown, look no further than Jaco’s Tacos. This Tex-Mex newbie serves up a lunch that I absolutely cannot stop thinking about! They also serve dinner, so if lunching out isn’t your thing, you’re still in luck!  To help you get your bearings, Jaco’s Tacos faces South State Street and is directly next door to George Bell Carpet Cleaning (where Fuego used to be, but with Fuego’s reputation and ownership a distant memory.)

The Jaco's Tacos salsa!

The Jaco's Tacos salsa!

How it all went down…

My first visit to Jaco’s Tacos was on a beautiful, sunny Monday afternoon for lunch. Jaco’s Tacos had opened under the radar about five days earlier, so the midday crowd was slim. Upon my arrival, I caught up with owners, Allison and John, who are engaged to be married in mid-April. (Opening a new restaurant AND planning a wedding at the same time qualifies them as one of the most fearless couples in Jackson.) At their invitation, I joined them at a table on the covered patio and enjoyed some chips and exceptionally tasty salsa while taking in the fresh air and fun, casual décor. “We’re not all the way there just yet, but it’s definitely coming together!” Allison told me, referring to the interior design, as I was looking around.

What’s on the menu?

When Nick, our server, came back to take orders, I wasn’t sure if I should go for tacos, a burrito, or a salad. After consulting John, I made the decision to go with the Giant Jaco’s Burrito stuffed with chicken (although pork, steak, and shrimp were also options.)  This came smothered with my choice of chili con queso or sour cream sauce. I went with the former, which I soon learned was a fantastic decision!

The Giant Jaco’s Burrito lives up to its name: giant. The Giant Jaco’s Burrito comes served with rice and beans to one side, sour cream, jalapenos and guacamole to the other side, and the cheese sauce, complete with what looked like rotel tomatoes in it, all over the top. As you can see from the picture, this plate of food looks like Tex-Mex heaven.

This meal was almost too fantastic to put into words

This meal was almost too fantastic to put into words...

When I cut into the burrito and saw the beautiful mix of onions and chicken on the inside, I thanked John for his good suggestion before even taking a bite. It. Looked. Amazing.

The first bite was seriously so good I could have died a happy person right then and there. With that first bite, I discovered the Jaco’s tortilla: they are much thicker than 99% of the tortillas I’ve encountered. The Jaco’s tortilla is almost as thick as a pancake, and MAN did it taste good… John told me it was a homemade buttermilk tortilla. How inventive!

Allison told me that most of the recipes on the Jaco’s menu are straight from John’s brain, and they’ve been perfected by their chef, who worked at Iron Horse Grill years ago.

Allison went on to mention that John doesn’t really like authentic Mexican food, but he likes the ingredients. So he played around with Tex-Mex ingredients until he came up with some killer menu items worthy of opening a restaurant around. I’m not sure he could have done a better job…

Because of the giant-ness of the burrito, I could only eat about half. As wonderful (and reminiscent of some old Iron Horse recipes) as the rice and beans were, I could only take a few bites of those as well. This was a LOT of food!

The magical green sauce... SO DANG GOOD

The magical green sauce... SO DANG GOOD

The best for last…

I’ve been saving the best news for last…

What could make this meal any better, you ask?

Nick, my server, stuck a little cup of green sauce on the side of my plate. He said it was a MUST try. And trying it did indeed make my meal even better. This magical green sauce is called “Mantequilla Sauce.”

I could drink that limey, buttery sauce like sweet tea. I poured a little on my rice, dipped some wayward chicken and onions in it, and even dipped a piece of buttermilk tortilla in it. As if all of these foods weren’t already out-of-the-park homeruns by themselves… The Mantequilla Sauce took them to another level. Mantequilla Sauce, too, is one of John’s brainchildren. He wouldn’t tell me exactly what ingredients were in it, but I’m pretty sure I heard him say there was a dash of Chardonnay in the mix, along with lime and butter. Can we say KILLER COMBO?!

INCREDIBLE.

The one word I would use to sum up my visit to Jaco’s Tacos is INCREDIBLE. The outdoor porch made for an enjoyable, casual atmosphere (although they do have nice indoor seating as well!), Nick’s service was second to none (he even fixed a water with lemon for me to go without me asking for it!), John and Allison are just the nicest folks you’ll find anywhere, and the food was breathtaking. The only word that even remotely sums up this place is… INCREDIBLE.

I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed my meal at Jaco’s Tacos and am itching to go back, several friends and family members in tow. I urge you to make a trip to downtown Jackson as soon as you can so you, too, can experience the magic of Jaco’s Tacos! Be sure to tell them we sent you (and don’t forget to request a side of Mantequilla Sauce!)

Jaco’s Tacos is open Monday and Tuesday 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday 11:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m., and Friday and Saturday 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m.

Jaco's Tacos on Urbanspoon

Jaco’s Tacos
Downtown Jackson
318 South State Street
Jackson, MS 39201
jacostacos.com

Related Posts

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to Jaco’s Tacos: Some INCREDIBLE Food

1. Glen Gaines March 8, 2012 at 11:43 am #

This place is one of the BEST in JACKSON…CHECK IT OUT

• Andrenette Stephens November 5, 2013 at 11:35 am #

I’ve never eatn here before but i hear the food us superb. Will be eating here really soon

2. Charla March 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Tried to eat there for lunch today and it was closed. I was really disappointed after reading this article

• Mrs. Eat Jackson March 12, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Charla, I hope you give it another shot soon! I went back this past weekend and they are still working out a few service issues with some new servers, but the food was just as fantastic as I remembered from my first visit!

3. Steven Smith March 19, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

I love Jackson, Mississippi and love it’s food more and more everyday, ESPECIALLY after eating at Jaco’s for lunch today. It definitely lived up to all reviews, and it’s right up there with the best Mexican food I have eaten ANYWHERE in the U.S. HUGE win for downtown!

• Mrs. Eat Jackson March 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

Steven,
      I am SO GLAD to hear about your great experience at Jaco’s! What did you order?

4. BigALnMS March 29, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

You were right, The Giant Jaco’s Burrito was amazing. Couldn’t finish it even for a big boy, but it was good! I am a meat lover and it was loaded with chicken. I passed on the side of beans but the rice is very much like that of the Iron Horse (miss that place!). The salsa was fresh and tasty. I came in late for lunch and the prices were reflective of that so it was an expensive lunch but good! Will certainly go back!

5. LovestoEatinJax April 23, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

The food here is good. It has definite potential. However there are many things holding it back. [Portions of comment deleted and passed directly to the restaurant ownership.] Clean it up and I will be a regular.

6. Ben April 26, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

I guess I may have to make a trip downtown for lunch tacos soon from the sound of it.

7. audiowido April 26, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

Did you say *buttermilk* tortillas?? Oh man, I can’t wait to try those! And I bet the Giant Jaco’s Burrito is awesome leftover for us weirdy cold food fans. :)
    I loved sitting on the patio before; I’m looking forward to experiencing it again with great food, and checking out the cocktails. Thanks for the thumbs-up!

8. Nancy Buckels April 26, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

I can’t wait to try Jaco’s Tacos!!

9. TC May 1, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Why are some of the comment portions deleted? If they’re negative, those are helpful too.

• Mrs. Eat May 1, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

At Eat Jackson, we allow all comments good and bad, unless they cross the line from constructive into unhelpful personal attack type territory OR they use inappropriate language. In those cases, we still try to post the portions that are appropriate. In any case, we always pass the full comment along to the restaurant ownership whenever we can.

10. Pamela May 2, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Going to lunch at Jaco’s Tacos tomorrow. Expecting a delicious meal.

11. TPeezy June 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

The first time I went to Jaco’s it was because I had a Groupon, I took a big group with me and we completely forgot to use the Groupon! The food was pretty good, but I still wasn’t sure about it. It was still pretty early, so I believe they were still working some kinks out. So, we (my fiance and I) went again a month or so ago just to use the Groupon. Again, it was good, but I live right down the street from Babalu, so I still wasn’t convinced it was worth the trip downtown. We went again last week and I’m finally convinced. I had the chicken pizza and it was absolutely amazing! I should have read this blog earlier so I could have tried the burrito, but it just gives me another reason to return. I’ll just have a hard time choosing between the pizza and the burrito. Also, we went on a Friday night and the live music was pretty good. My only suggestion would be for them to have the band perform outside on the patio. I don’t know if that’s an option, but it’s kind of a no-brainer when it comes to eating inside with the band or outside on the patio. Finally, that peach mojito is delicious. Glad to see yet another amazing restaurant spring up in Jackson.

12. Lisa June 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

best taco in the state!!!

13. Brandie May 3, 2013 at 4:23 pm #

Need to try this place.

14. Arthur Hosey Jr May 31, 2013 at 12:10 am #

Going to Jaco’s today for lunch. It’s the best Tex-Mex place I’ve ever personally gone to. My girlfriend and I swear by it and it hits the marks on everything top to bottom.

15. Gret December 30, 2013 at 11:32 am #

Maybe the food has gone wayyyy down in the last year but wow…it was horrible at the Ridgeland location. Cheese and sauces don’t cover up the taste of blah, reheated food. Way overpriced for the mediocre (at best) quality of the food…especially when I can go down the street to La Guadalupe and get a REAL taco. Sad replacement for Tequilas. Won’t make that mistake again.

16. Annette February 11, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

I posted a review a few weeks ago that did not make it to the review section. “We went there last night . Was a very bad first time experience. We got the cheese dip and tasted like burned cheese. They bring us another bowl, (out of the same burned batch) but the kids just wanted to eat it. So we left it as is. We ordered the 3 taco dish on the menu that comes with corn tortillas, we asked the waitress (who was very nice) if we can have flour tortilla instead, she said sure. About 5 to 10 mins later she came back to say the owner said it would be $5 more per meal for the substitution, what a joke. Hubby then said to leave it corn and asked for the works with it. I ordered a shrimp taco and a steak one. The shrimp tasted like old frozen shrimp and my husband’s “the works” was 2 thin slices of avocado, maybe 4 pieces of diced red onion, a sprinkle of cilantro and a teaspoon of sour cream (this was extra). HIs tacos came and it was corn tortilla tossed in a deep fryer with stuff on it, which wasn’t good at all. Mine didn’t come until everyone was almost done eating. For the prices these people charge, the food should have been exceptional. Don’t put the word “Taco” in your name when you can’t make it correctly. Our son had nachos and his exact response was “When I take corn chips and put it in the microwave with cheese, it tastes better”. From the mouth of babes.
    Another guy came to the table to ask about the experience and we told him it wasn’t good thus far. He apologized that my food was not there yet and after telling him about the extra $5 for flour tortillas, he said that should not have happened. I said maybe you should let the owner know. He said he would come back to check to see if everything was ok. We’re still waiting.
    Will never recommend this place or ever go back.”

17. Marissa February 21, 2014 at 1:39 pm #

That burrito looks too good to be true! I’ll definitely have to head downtown tonight to get one!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. JRWing at Jaco's Tacos for Lunch | Eat Jackson! - April 18, 2012

[…] you read about our first visit to Jaco’s Tacos, you may remember how much I liked the Mantequilla Sauce… This slightly zesty yet savory sauce […]

2. Jaco's Tacos & the Mississippi Children's Museum | Eat Jackson! - June 25, 2012

[…] fun flowing, we suggest heading just a few miles south of the Mississippi Children’s Museum to Jaco’s Tacos. Jaco’s Tacos has a brand new menu with pages of options! (They’ve come a long way since […]

3. Eat Jackson's 100 Top Stories of 2012 | Eat Jackson! - December 30, 2012