A Pizza Fit For a King but Found in a Shack

Pizza Shacks Three Cheese Pizza

The Three Cheese pizza at Pizza Shack

I can always appreciate truth in advertising.  Knowing what is around the corner makes a trip more enjoyable because I’m not being bombarded with anxiety attacks or getting ripped off.  Where there’s truth, there’s peace.  However, finding a diamond in the rough triggers equal responses but on the positive side of the spectrum.  If you’re in the mood for run-of-the-mill pizza, hit up a chain. If you feel the urge to get serious bang for your hard earned buck, The Pizza Shack on North State Street is the place for you.

Their name is simple and honest.  The place literally feels like a “shack” but has a comfort of its own.  You can call in your order if you’d like and then come pick it up, take it home, and be a hero of sorts. You could also dine-in and hang out in its unpretentious seating area or get a feel of the area on the deck.  We’ve done both, and I have to say my favorite is the deck.  Being right across from Baptist Hospital, down the street from First Baptist Church, a hop and a skip from Belhaven and Millsaps, it’s like you’re at the axis of the North Jackson universe.  This is prime real estate when it comes to “people watching” (a favorite past time of mine).

To experience Pizza Shack as it is, you’re going to have to hurry.  They rent their little location from Keifer’s next door, and the whole block has been bought out by Baptist across the street.  They’ll soon pave paradise and put up a parking garage.  The time frame is a bit muddy right now, but it’s safe to say they won’t be in that exact location for long.  I was told they are looking for another spot in the same general area, but they’re also opening up a second location on Old Canton Road in the Colonial Mart Shopping center.  I know they were shooting for early March to open the new location, but they probably won’t open until Spring Break.  You can’t fault them, though. They’re continuously pumping out quality pizzas.  It’s nice to see a business put the customer first instead of the all-mighty-dollar.

Pizza Shack's meat pizza, also known as the Carnivore

I ordered the Carnivore, a Pizza Shack Favorite

Food: The wife and I ordered two of the favorites, the Carnivore and the BBQ Chicken.  The BBQ Chicken pizza met that balance of cheese and BBQ quite well.  The BBQ sauce had a sweetness to it that complemented the texture of the pie itself.  The Carnivore was a monster.  You could actually see the layers of various meats on the pizza.  No lie, each slice was almost two inches thick.  It’s the perfect pizza for a group who wants fill up on a good pizza. The great thing about these artful pizzas was that you could actually taste what was in them.  The sausage had a taste. The cheese had a taste. The crust had a taste. These variables created a unique taste experience.  I’d venture to guess you won’t find that at Papa’s Hut.

Atmosphere: One word: easy.  The mixture of customers, patrons, workers, cooks, and locals brought about a feeling of unity.  We had a mom and her two sons who had just gotten out of track practice from Murrah High School, a Boy Scout leader picking up a pizza for his guys, an older couple reading from the Jackson Free Press (who has recently voted Pizza Shack best pizza in Jackson), and us hanging out on the patio.

Service: You’ll meet some characters working at Pizza Shack.  They’ll talk, they’ll laugh, and they’ll treat you like you have done them a favor coming to eat pizza where they work.  They’re in no monstrous hurry, but they’ll get your pie to you in an orderly amount of time.  You have to remember, you’re ordering a hand-made bundle of perfection on a circle.  Let your body relax so your taste buds can have a ball.

The Pizza Shack's BBQ Pizza, it has BBQ Sauce right on top.

We also ordered the BBQ Pizza, it was great, another favorite.

Pizza Shack on Urbanspoon

601-352-2001
1220 N. State Street
Jackson, MS 39202
Price: $$

7 Responses to A Pizza Fit For a King but Found in a Shack

1. Sophie March 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

Pizza Shack has always been one of my favorites. Since I live in Belhaven, it’s a regular haunt of mine. You can’t go wrong with the Thai Chicken Pizza! The mix of peanut sauce, peppers, carrots, onions, and chicken is to die for.

2. Sophie March 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

3. Lisa March 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm #

The Thai Chicken pizza is the best!!

4. Lisa March 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm #

The Thai Chicken pizza is the best!!

5. Keith Plunkett March 9, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

I have never had a bad, or even mediocre pizza here. JFP’s Best of award was right on.

6. Keith Plunkett March 9, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

7. TM May 21, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

I have ordered the pizza before and it pizza was GREAT, but I happened to get off of work late one night, didnt feel like cooking and ordered the wings. They were nice brown but greasey, on the outside. When I got in to sit down and eat , I took a bite and the wings were cold like ice on the inside. I called back to let the establishment know what happened. The MANAGER placed me on hold in the middle of me explaining what happened, then when I told her, she held the phone and didnt say anything. I asked her did they premake the wings and then put them in the microwave when an order comes through, she sternly/nastily repsonded NO, THEY GO INTO OUR OVEN. She placed me on hold and came back said because she couldnt find my ticket so therefore I didnt place an order. I responded with, I didnt place and order? and tried to describe to her the lady who rung me up she told me, I was yelling at her and hung up in my face. I called back twice to try to get an understanding and she hung up in my face a 2nd timem, 3rd time I got the GM he offered what could he do for me and I told him nothing,&basicaly told me , he have to go with what she told me and not listen to me as to how the conversation happened. I told him I didnt want free food nor a refund I was calling to let them know what happened so that they could tighten up on what comes out of the kitchen. I WILL NOT BE ORDERING FROM THEM AGAIN IF I SPEND MY MONEY AND GET TREATED THIS WAY. To have the MANAGER act in this manner after I sat in thelobby after working 14 hours , I spent my money at this place and waiting for 30 mins to have the food made.Then to be told I didnt spend my money there because there was not a ticket for it?? could it be that someone lost the ticket? Not to mention havign to eplain to someone that my food was not done , have her talk over me while I am talking and then accuse me of yelling at her because she wont let me get my description of the lady that took my order out , hangs up in my face not once but twice . Then to have the GM basically tell me that he has to go with what she said and not me, I spent my money there!! but as i go online and view more reviews on them, they have other disappointing remarks. It just seems that after the rave of how good they are , the manager felt like they couldnot have possibley made a mistake of not cooking my chicken wings and I wanted something in return, no , didnt want any money or another piece of meat , I wanted to submit my request have management listent to that so that they can continue to do better and to be treated like a customer…i will not be going back.